Monday 23 April 2012

My Mission So Far


Imma write about my mission so far because of popular demand.
 
My Mission has been great!
 
OK so now that you all know, haha jk, butseriously!
When I first got to Zwolle, my first city, I was having a hard time probably cause it was a huge change from my laid back MTC life to the lone and dreary world where people rejected me and my companion. It probably also did not help that I left the MTC feeling like I knew the language perfectly and then realizing on my first Sunday at church that I could not understand the members at all. I remember one guy asked if I needed translation, he asked in dutch, I could not understand him so he repeated slowly and I still could not understand him so he asked me in English and I replied oh its OK, I can almost understand everything, which was a lie.
After a while I got used to it and started having fun. There were always ups and downs but I ended up loving my time in Zwolle. While there we taught some really cool people one later got baptized.
I went to Assen and had a rough start finding people to teach. After a while that picked up too and Bernadette was baptized, I really love my time in Assen so much and I got to spend 7 months in that city. I was still a part of the same district with Zwolle so I ended up being in the same District for over a year, half of my mission. In the District are the Van Komens a senior couple who cared for me very well. I really love them and am so thankful to them. They helped me so much and we have a strong bond.
I also had the opportunity to train my son Elder McDaniel who is the man, I learned so much from him as I did from my other companions as well. I then had to leave all my friends and loved ones in Assen to move to Almere. This city is only about 40 years old and is build on the bottom of the sea, thanks to Dikes. It was really weird going there but it did not take long to love it there as well. I met awesome people and had a blast. It might have been the fact that half of the ward was obsessed with Austria being either of Austrian decent or having served a mission there. So I felt welcomed. Unfortunately I had to leave Almere after only 6 weeks but got to go to Rotterdam to be Zone Leader. That was an awesome change. I have wanted to serve in a big city so bad and now I am with a car which sometimes is a little crazy. I have had so much fun. I have learned so much. One of the biggest things I have learned is that the Lord really is involved in this work. You can work as hard as you want but if you don't draw near to the Lord and seek his council and guidance you will not be able to do the work. I would be lost if the spirit was not my constant companion. I have also learned that if you are obedient that the Lord will bless you. Even if the Mission President asked you to do something that you think is not gonna be that effective, if you do it and obey the Lord will bless you. I love my mission and sad of the thought of going home, luckily I still have like a year or something like that. I know that God loves us and that he sent his son Jesus Christ to redeem us from sin and death. I know that the Gospel was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith and that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God as is the Bible. I love the Lord and the Scriptures and I love the people whom I serve. I know these things not because of the proof or worldly evidence but because of the power of the Holy Ghost. The Spirit has testified to me, if any of you do not have this witness ask God for the truth with an open heart and real intent and I promise that he will let you know the truth of all things through the power of the Holy Ghost. I love you all. Thank you for all the support and the love that flows my way. It also flows back.
Much Everlasting Love
                                    Elder Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment